The UUA views the Unitarian Universalist Military Ministry Great Lakes as a regional ministry situated between the Chicago and Milwaukee metro areas, to be supported by area congregations. There are 21 congregations within 50 miles of Great Lakes, with additional congregations not far beyond.
The Unitarian Church of Evanston has been the key sponsor congregation of UUMMGL since its inception in 2006 (worship began in 2007). The North Shore Unitarian Church (Deerfield, IL) and Olympia Brown Unitarian Universalist Church (Racine, WI) have been very active supporters over the years. All three congregations have provided worship leaders, board members, and financial support.
The UUA Funding Program supported the ministry with 50% matching grants for the years 2011-2014; local congregations contributed matching funds. Today the ministry is supported by a Faithify Go-Fund-Me effort, Sunday collection plate solicitations from area UU churches and generous grants from the Unitarian Church of Evanston and the North Shore Unitarian Church Trust Fund.
These following churches have generously supported UUMMGL with grants and plate sharing contributions over the years:
- Unitarian Universalist Church (Rockford, IL),
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Rock Valley (Rockton, IL),
- Prairie Circle UU Congregation (Grayslake, IL),
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Elgin (Elgin, IL),
- Peoples Church of Chicago (Chicago, IL),
- Second Unitarian Church (Chicago, IL),
- Beverly Unitarian Church (Chicago, IL),
- Hinsdale Unitarian Church (Hinsdale, IL),
- Unitarian Universalist Society of Geneva (Geneva, IL),
- Unitarian Church of Hobart (Hobart, IN),
- Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Park Forest (Park Forest, IL), and
- Universalist Unitarian Church of Joliet, (Joliet, IL).
The Great Lakes Ministry is reaching out to local congregations, requesting the following assistance:
- Board members from various congregations to help guide the ministry and raise funds for it. This is an ideal task for veteran and retired military.
Annual financial support to fund the ministry (annual budget $9,000). Please consider dedicating your Memorial Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day and additional plate sharing contributions to the Great Lakes ministry. Grant opportunities and budget line items are also appreciated.