Congregational Administrator & Worship Leader Vacancy
The Unitarian Universalist Military Ministry Great Lakes (UUMMGL) conducts weekly worship services for Navy recruits at Great Lakes Naval Recruit Training Command’s Memorial Chapel in Great Lakes, IL (about 40 miles north of downtown Chicago and 60 miles south of downtown Milwaukee). The ministry serves ~550 recruits annually, with weekly attendance ranging ~5-20. The recruits are all young adults, 18-35 years old. The ministry also distributes ~300 copies of Bless All Who Serve: Sources of Hope, Courage and Faith for Military Personnel and Their Families and ~100 copies of Becoming: A Spiritual Guide for Navigating Young Adulthood each year.
UUMMGL seeks a Congregational Administrator and Worship Leader. The position reports to the Chair of the UUMMGL Board. Applicants must have documented administrative assistant experience and be able to work independently. They must be a Unitarian Universalist who is member in good standing with his/her congregation. They are requested to have documented UU worship leader credentials, for example the UUA Renaissance Worship module (training will be provided). They must be able to receive UUA Military Ministry endorsement to facilitate UU young adult worship. Applicants must also complete Great Lakes Naval annual 2-hour volunteer worship leader training and pass a Federal background check.
The Congregational Administrator position includes the following responsibilities:
- serve as the point of contact with the Recruit Training Command’s chaplain staff
- prepare Recruit Training Command annual re-authorization paperwork
- organize quarterly board meetings, prepare agenda, write quarterly report
- assist board treasurer with quarterly financial statements, annual budget and annual state and federal financial reports
- prepare annual state reports
- maintain UUMMGL online (Google drive) and paper documentation (files kept at home)
- maintain UUMMGL web site (www.uummgl.org)
- represent UUMMGL at local/regional Unitarian Universalist gatherings, such as Regional Assembly
- liaison to UUA Military Ministry and UUA Mid-America Region
- maintain and order supplies
- other duties, as necessary
The Congregational Administrator needs to be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive, and Google E-mail. The successful applicant is expected to join the Association of UU Administrators.
The Lay Worship Leader includes the following responsibilities:
- ability to relate to young adults training for military service,
- lead worship 10 times a year, about once every 5 weeks,
- attend lay worship leader meetings/trainings about once a year,
- coordinate the worship leader schedule together with other volunteers.
The position pays a $500/month salary. The work load is about 4 hours/week, averaged over the course of the year. The work load is significantly heavier before/after quarterly board meetings, at the end of the fiscal year, and during annual Navy recertification. It is much lighter at other times of the year. Worship preparation requires about 2-4 hours preparation and 1 hour to lead worship, in addition to transportation, worship setup and take down time. The position begins 1 January 2018.
UUMMGL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, persons of color, young adults, and persons with disabilities to apply.
Send a letter of application detailing your experience and expertise with your administrative resume to email@example.com. The search remains open until the position is filled. For best consideration, submit application materials by 15 December 2017.