Unitarian Universalist Military Ministry Great Lakes
Ministerial Coordinator Job Description
The Unitarian Universalist Military Ministry Great Lakes (UUMMGL) conducts weekly worship services for Navy Boot Camp recruits at the Naval Recruit Training Command’s Memorial Chapel in Great Lakes, IL (about 40 miles north of downtown Chicago and 60 miles south of downtown Milwaukee). The ministry serves about 550 recruits annually, with weekly attendance ranging from 5-25. The recruits are all young adults, 18-35 years old.
UUMMGL seeks a Ministerial Coordinator to schedule worship leader services, lead worship, and administer the ministry. The position reports to Roger Baron, Chair of the UUMMGL Board.
Applicants for the Ministerial Coordinator position must have documented UU worship leader credentials, ideally as an ordained UU minister. Applicants must also attend the chaplain’s annual 2-hour worship leader training and for security purposes, pass a Federal National Agency Check.
The Ministerial Coordinator position includes the following responsibilities:
* ability to relate to young adults training for military service
* implement the vision and mission of the ministry
* lead worship about once a month in rotation as one of five lay leaders
* train and help recruit volunteer lay leaders
* coordinate worship leader scheduling
* organize and lead periodic UUMMGL worship leader training
* serve as the point of contact with the Recruit Training Command’s chaplain and staff
* attend the chaplain’s annual 2-hour training on worship leader interaction with recruits.
* assist the Board Chair in development of an agenda for the annual Board meeting.
* assist Board Treasurer and Chair with the annual budget and required financial reports.
* manage retention of UUMMGL scanned documents on the ministry’s Google drive.
* maintain UUMMGL web site ( http://www.uummgl.org/ ).
* raise money to support the ministry through Sunday plate collections at area UU churches and an annual Faithify go-fund-me effort.
* represent UUMMGL at local Unitarian Universalist gatherings, Regional Assembly and/or General Assembly
* liaison with the UUA, UUA Military Ministry and UUA Mid-America Region
* maintain and order supplies
* other duties, as assigned
The Ministerial Coordinator should be proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, WordPress and E-mail.
The position pays $6000 annual stipend with no benefits, but includes professional development funds. Prior to acceptance, applicants will be interviewed by the UUMMGL Board of Directors. The position begins 1 September, 2018.
The UUMMGL is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Illinois corporation, incorporated July 15, 2013. It is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply.
This is a unique opportunity to introduce and support Unitarian Universalism to a national cross-section of 500+ young adults/year, provide them an island of spiritual support during their rigorous training, maintain a working association with Unitarian Universalism, and earn a modest stipend with relatively little time commitment.
If you would like to learn more, email your resume to Roger Baron, UUMMGL Board Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail hard copy to 1854 Somerset Lane, Northbrook, IL 60062.